Sunday, March 6

Microeconomics . . . and like, timetabling.

Microeconomics is the study of... ... oh I don't know, I wasn't paying nearly enough attention in the lecture. I forgot to bring my glasses, and I always forget to bring my glasses first week because uni is the only place I need them and.... yeah.

In front of me sat three girls, one directly in front, one to her left and one to her right. We'll call them the Hillary Duffettes.

Classic first year students, the Duffettes were passing a sheet of A4 to each other jotting notes (which I could have read if I'd brought my glasses) about what I presume was their timetable. With concerned looks at each other they opened up their planners and pondered what I could see from my seat was a timetable that stretched across every day of the week.

If there is one piece of advice I'd give to someone about to start the time at uni, it would be to be very careful with your timetable. A poor timetable will severely cruel your semester. Here's a few hard and fast rules from a guy who has had more bad timetables than good girlfriends.

1: Avoid 9am starts - Okay, you're saying "No shit, I'd still be in bed" and you're right. The main problem with a 9am start is the driving during peak hour to get there for the lecture, that's an extra 30 - 45 minutes dodging nutjob light truck drivers in traffic.

2: Avoid 10am starts - Not as bad a 9am start, but not as good as an 11am start.

3: Fridays - Fridays and university don't mix. Werd.

4. Gaps - Grouping all your classes and tutes together in stretches of five hours without a break is sheer assclownery. I've made the mistake before, and... I'll probably make it again.

5. Fight for the 2.5 Day Week - Neatly fitting all your contact hours into two and half days is the goal, this might involve being forced to enroll in one tute and then arrogantly showing up to another. Personally, I've never been enough of a toss to do this, but if you just walk in and sit down they can't physically remove you.

Having two days off during the week allows you valuable time to work, sleep, go shopping, ignore homework, clean your room, ignore homework, wash your car, ignore homework, wash the neighbor's car, ignore homew... you get it.

The other observation about a timetable is that come 4 or 5 weeks into the semester, you rarely go to anything but the tutes for subjects which allocate finals marks to tutorial participation.

Therefore, disregard the advice in this post.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Student said...

Yeah that is certainly true Ruth, but I've found I'll never pay enough attention for five hours to warrant actually bothering to go.

But you're right, the northern suburbs certainly blows!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home