Friday, March 3

Their Covers

Another year, (yet another class with Gary), another group assignment.

Walking to this class in scorching early March heat, I reminded myself that there was a group assignment in this subject, and that nothing more than personal proximity was going to decide who I was going to be working with. I chose a seat carefully eyeing off the people I was going to be sitting near, as the fans whirred and clicked trying to suppress the heat building in the sun blessed 3rd floor room.

This semester we have the option, should we choose to, of doing the entire 4000 word assignment that constitutes 40% of the class mark ourselves, and avoiding the group assignment torture all together.

This is akin to having the answer the question, do you want to punch yourself in the stomach once hard, or punched repeatedly by three people with varying levels of impact depending on their ability to show up to meetings, write coherently, and reply to emails?

I'd consider the prospect of producing the entire 4000 word assignment yourself to be too time consuming, and therefore not worth the effort. I'd also consider that the fact that no matter how annoying working in a group is, it beats the actual time it'd take to write out a 4000 word assignment.

Amidst a conversation going on directly behind me which involved, word for word, the statement, "I'm spending over $200 a month on muscle supplements, my missus doesn't understand," 4 or 5 people actually put their hand up and indicated to the lecturer that they were doing it on their own.

4 or 5 bad moves.

Not for the first time, I'm in a group with three girls. Considering this is a third year subject, and we've all done at least three group assignment already, there should be little room for group work bullshit - but only 14 weeks of study will tell.

6 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

viel glück Student...I think you're going to need it.

But an all girl group? Are any of them hot? Regular emails, lunch time library sessions, late night meetings...

11:04 AM  
Blogger The Student said...

Yeah they are cute too. I'm not far off being one of the token guys in Steps.

I was chatting to one of them on the way to the car park, she shares my outward hatred of group work. However I doubt this will mean that she won't dick the rest of us around.

11:58 AM  
Blogger The Student said...

Nah, a 2000 word assignment maybe, but 4000 is too much.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

By the way, how is Gary's love life going?

(My own love life exists only vicariously...)

8:17 PM  
Blogger Ursula said...

two words:

bad. move.

7:15 PM  
Blogger jenu said...

group work often sucks....but good luck.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home