Wednesday, October 19

A Symphony in Two Parts.

Five minutes prior to yesterday's presentation I met my partner for the first time. We had been in touch over the phone a couple of time since our tutor has hooked us up together some two months prior. I broke my cardinal rule of not having cased out the presentation beforehand and then staking a claim on my role in it. This left my partner to pick whatever he wanted and then leave me the rest, which he did - in spades.

We had to discuss a particular managment scenario and relate it to the subject matter of that week's chapter of reading. Naturally, my slumbering ways left him discussing the chapter's key themes, and me actually having to present 5 to 6 minutes of verbal window dressing that actually answered the questions we were required to answer.

This 'presentation' was worth 20% of our mark in the subject, and it was a solid gold 20%, with my partner managing to basically give a presentation loosely based on the lecture we'd had that week, right down to snatching the over heads from that lecture and reusing them for his 5 minutes of monotone rambling.

Rambling that was eerily reminiscent of this cracking soundbite from the opening scenes of Napoleon Dynamite:

Last week, Japanese scientists explaced- placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Curt Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and it's local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.

This of course left me to answer the question, and actually make a presentation that emitted even the faintest signals that we'd had three or four minutes of cognitive thought amongst us for the past two months.

The result was 15/20 and me sleeping most of the afternoon and evening.

2 Comments:

Blogger Enny said...

At least you got the mark you were both aiming for - Mission Succesful!

1:32 PM  
Blogger The Student said...

The best part was the fact that my partner tried to charm an extra mark out of the tutor.

"Did you say 16 out of 20?"

"No, 15."

"Come on, i'm pretty sure you said 16."

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home