Monday, September 19

Why I don't sell my marketing books.

At the begining of every semester I sell my books. It's the great cliche of uni that the books are expensive, and yes, yes they are. I sell mine off and then use that cash to buy the next semester's set.

I keep all the marketing text books, because I am getting a makreting degree. I can see some point in the future where I'm going to need to walk into a meeting at work and have to sound important. Dropping a few marketing terms, dazzling the head of accounts. This is the reason I am storing a pile of marketing text books that is collectively worth more than my first car.

How many times have you heard someone say:

"The second the exam is over, everything I have learnt over the six months is out of my head."

The problem I have is that I feel like I have forgotten everything the moment the unit has been completed. I failed Accounting once, and then passed it with flying colours the next semester. Now, a year later, I can't remember a thing I learnt.

Is there something fundemantally wrong with this?

This degree is a massive drain on my time, yet I suspect I'll be coming out the other end of it with nothing more than a peice of paper that makes me more employable, and a stack of marketing text books to refer to when I fear I'll look stupid at work.

7 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

If you dislike it that much, why keep doing it?

10:40 AM  
Blogger The Student said...

Disliking uni > full time work.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shred them. they'll be more use as recycled paper than a future reference point...

5:06 PM  
Blogger Ursula said...

"I'll be coming out the other end of it with nothing more than a peice of paper that makes me more employable..."

What were you expecting?

At least your degree will actually make you employable. Mine simply invokes laughter or veiled looks of partial understanding rapidly followed by sympathy.

Try using the the words 'classical music' and 'job' in the same sentence. (Other than - there are no jobs in classical music. That one's been said.

B+ for posting.
The Student is a conscientious student and is working well in class. Keep up the good work!

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've kept all mine.

But then again, I've kept English essays from year 10, because I thought they were nifty.

My pack-ratting knows no bounds.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Kartar said...

Sell the fuckers. For two reasons:

a) No one in their right mind will employ anyone who still has their marketing textbooks from uni. For any job. Not just marketing.

b) Who the fuck actually uses any of it? - for job-related buzz word jargon? We all just make that shit up. All you need is half-a-dozen Powerpoint slides with some fades and you'll be right as rain.

11:22 AM  
Blogger The Student said...

So you're saying I should take...

Personal Attributes:
...
Still has all marketing text books from university stored in excellent condition


...off my resume?

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home