Friday, May 13

Quarantine

Having blogged in the past, I'm acutely aware of the 'Do I? / Don't I?' internal battle many bloggers face when writing a post.

Should I write honestly about an issue when I am sure someone it relates to is reading the blog? How do you write something about someone on your blog that you wouldn't say to their face? What if someone finds the blog who shouldn't? More specifically - where do I draw the line?

In 2001, a girl I had previously been seeing read something on my low class blog at the time, a somewhat thinly veiled reference to her - I got nothing short of a 'spray' the next time I ran into her down at the shops. This was warranted, and while a spray from an undisputed minger doesn't compare to losing your job, or losing friends, it underlines the sort of shit an ONLINE collection of your thoughts can cause.

When I decided I wanted to blog again, it was because I felt I was missing out on writing for recreation. I had just begun a job that involved me writing for a living, and I was starting to get into the swing of writing again - where it was easy to write again.

The one precondition I set for myself was that I could only blog about Uni - I felt this would lessen the chance of me slipping into blogging about personal stuff - and thereby avoid the likelihood of me getting jack of the blog due to 'this is infringing my personal life' reasons.

The one clear disadvantage of this is that I don't write about solid-blogging-gold stories from my life - like the current one about some particularly 'what the fuck?' text messages I've received - which is a shame for all you lovers of bad-poetry-of-a-15-year-old out there in the blogosphere.

At the start I wondered how exactly a blog about Uni would work out - how far you could stretch a topic like this out, how many times you could remark on the sheer craptacularity of tutes, lectures, groups - without well and truly boring people stupid. I'm happy with how it's all working out so far. B+

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy with how it's working so far, too. However, if you ever feel like revealing some personal stories on here, i don't think i would be contrary to that at all... just as long as it's juicy and exciting so losers such as myself can live vicariously through you.

But i have to admit, the idea of people in my life learning that i write/talk about them online mortifies me... hence why I don't blog!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

It's an ever raging battle.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the consequences aren't all THAT catastrophic!

Sure I only lost my job...and my site...and my boyfriend...and one of my best friends...

oh...

wait.

Hmmmm.

You probably shouldn't listen to me on this topic.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Ursula said...

I vote you blog the messages...

I LOVE bad 15 year old love poetry.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had this problem, probably because I am incredibly paranoid and I obsessively edit my work to remove things that could offend. However I have no problem offending other bloggers.

I also have no problem offending my twin brother as I know he will eventually forgive me. What you really need is a list of people you don't mind offending.

You might already know this but, Melbourne lefty was forced to close down his site for writing about his workplace.

A friend of yours directed me to your site. I like your site and I'm going to link to it, can you link back to me? That’s if you like my site.

I'm also organising Melbourne grogblogging I would love to know if you could attend.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

You know, we should start our own secret joint blog where we can speak about all the stuff we don't want others to read about. A completely anonymous blog that no one knows about.

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And no one visits. (haha sorry couldn't help it)

PS thanks for the link.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have posted the obligatory nude polaroids of her!!

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home